I thought this post covered all our favorite spots in Phoenix, until someone asked me on Facebook to recommend some Phoenix area restaurants and coffee shops. I responded with a link to the previously mentioned post, but then had more than a dozen more places to recommend in addition to those!
To recap, the favorites from that post are (new notations in italics):
Le Grande Orange (photo above)
• market, cafe, and restaurant
• delicious breakfast + lunch
• don't miss the Daybreaker omelette, the Commuter sandwich, the granola + fruit, or the Birchermeusli for breakfast
• I love the tuna nicoise salad, stacked turkey sandwich, or chicken salad sandwich for lunch
• they have amazing homemade english muffins - perhaps the best you'll ever have
• get the burger on an english muffin; their pizza is good too
• you'll die over all the cute stuff in the market
• love the fun market atmosphere
• still one of our ALL TIME favorite places.
Essence Bakery Cafe
• organic, locally-sourced food make up the menu for this breakfast, bakery, lunch spot
• for breakfast, I love the French scrambled eggs
• for lunch, I love the Greek Caesar salad and their quiche is amazing too
• they have amazing daily specials, usually a sandwich or salad, and a soup
• get there early for the croissants, especially the almond croissants
• their macarons are well-known; I like the vanilla bean the best
• their original location is in Tempe, but they also have a location in Arcadia (38th and Indian School)
• a simple menu of just a couple of sandwiches and salads to choose from for lunch
• amazing bread, simple ingredients, but lots of deliciousness
• simple, eclectic, rustic decor
• simple foccaccia pizza for dinner or head over to their main/in-demand pizza + wine bar restaurant, Pizzeria Bianco
• don't miss Lux, the coffee shop next door
• Old Town Scottsdale
• organic and locally-sourced breakfast and lunch
• super-cute cottage decor and nice patio as well
inspired pizzeria with their own tomato + herb garden out front (I talked a little about this place here)
fresh, modern cafeteria/counter-style spot on Mill Ave. in Tempe
vegan restaurant in Ahwatukee
The Arrogant Butcher
fresh northern Italian; I love the building
True Food Kitchen
organic with great atmosphere, two locations: one at The Bilmore and one at Scottsdale Quarter
In addition to all of those amazing places, I now have the following to add:
Ingo's Tasty Food
Very tasty burgers; I am a meat eater but I actually LOVE their veg burger. The chicken sandwich is also a favorite. This place is across the street from LGO.
Locations all over Phoenix including central Phoenix, Arcadia, and North Scottsdale (areas we frequent the most). They actually have a Denver LoHi location, too so it's a Denver favorite too.
Cartel Coffee Lab
The original Tempe location is my favorite, skip the old town Scottsdale location and make the drive to Tempe. Amazing banana bread and ginger spice bread.
Go for an upscale brunch, lunch, or dinner, or just hit up the coffee bar (what we do most often - order The Wildflower, thank me accordingly). Great atmosphere. We love the outdoor area, and it has a great view of Camelback (photo above).
Chestnut Fine Foods & Provisions
Great for breakfast or lunch. I am not impressed with their coffee, but the food is good and I like the atmosphere. Good patio.
Central Phoenix, Arcadia, or North Scottsdale - healthy food, very tasty, and decent prices. I love the Mother Earth bowl and the Curry bowl.
This spot has quickly become our designated Phoenix Donut Monday spot #PHXdonutmonday. Donuts are made with a brioche dough - I love the maple and the apple fritter. The drip coffee is on pointe. Nice outdoor area to hangout, or cute indoor space.
Ocotillo and it's coffee bar O to Go
I have yet to try the restaurant portion of this spot, but we love the coffee bar. They have some great seasonal espresso drinks, including cereal-infused milk lattes (fruity pebble or cinnamon toast crunch). The outdoor hang out space is totally our jam.
Giant Coffee, The Taco Guild, Gadzooks (enchiladas), Southern Rail, and Beckett's Table are all notable mentions too.
For weekend brunch on a farm, The Farm at South Mountain or Singh Farms. The Farm at South Mountain would be my first choice of those two.
There you have it! I did have a considerable number of places to add. And be sure, as I discover more, I will share those too.